Mandarin-English Bilingual Facilitator
Contractor position: $70/hour, 5 month project, 20 hrs/week (with part-time and full-time potential)
Start date: Immediate
Life Story Club (LSC) works to combat loneliness and social isolation by creating small social clubs for older adults to share life stories and easily build friendships. We prioritize underserved older adults from low-income and immigrant communities, as well as older adults who need in-home support.
Clubs are made up of 10 older adults who come together in person or via Zoom for one hour each week to share life stories. Each week an LSC Facilitator guides the group using two prompt cards to encourage story sharing. LSC’s prompt cards include questions such as, “What did you get in trouble for when you were young?”, “What did you discover you were good at?” The facilitator also helps participants to record life stories if they would like to share them with loved ones, their communities, and Life Story Club’s broader audience.
LSC has a long-standing partnership with the New York City Housing Authority to serve older residents living in public housing developments. LSC seeks a Club facilitator who is fluent in both English and Mandarin Chinese to help co-design and host a 10-week Club series for Mandarin-speaking older residents in the Lower East Side.
The overall project requires a 5-month commitment. In addition to hosting the 10-week Club series, the role also involves training and weekly prep work, liaising with LSC’s partner organization, helping to plan and host recruitment/information sessions on the NYCHA site, participant outreach and communications, post-series story production, and project coordination with LSC’s program team throughout.
This is a contract position for a discreet, time-limited project. However, successful candidates have the opportunity to continue with LSC in a part-time or full-time facilitator position.
- Host and facilitate the one-hour weekly club meeting for Mandarin-speaking older adults on site at the NYCHA residence. Meetings will take place on a weekday TBD during the day
- Help club participants to record short audio stories
- Help with production, i.e. running recordings through a transcription service, and help crafting short, very lightly edited stories from the raw transcripts
- Facilitation Prep
- Participate in a four-hour training with our Program Director at LSC’s Brooklyn site
- Work with the LSC Program team to co-create prompt cards, in Mandarin, for the 10-week curriculum
- Spend 1.5 – 2 hours before and after weekly sessions to prepare for the session, and to input notes after the session and track attendance
- Support recruitment efforts
- Draft/edit Mandarin and English versions of fliers to be used for recruitment/information sessions at the NYCHA residence
- Liaise with Grand St Settlement program team, LSC’s partner organization operating programming activities at the NYCHA residence
- Host recruitment/information sessions at the NYCHA residence, assisting Grand St Settlement’s program staff to set up before/clean up after the information session
- Conduct participant outreach and reminder calls
- Attend weekly team meetings and one-on-one check-ins with LSC supervisor
- Spoken and written fluency in both Mandarin Chinese and English
- Experience with or interest in working with and supporting older adults
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Successful candidates are culturally sensitive, great listeners, and are able to build relationships with people from a variety of different backgrounds
- Ability to travel on-site to the NYCHA residence in the Lower East Side and Life Story Club’s headquarters in Fort Greene, Brooklyn
- Ability to learn and use Zoom video/teleconferencing
- Reliable, dependable and timely
- Any experience with or interest in working with Chinese community, older adults and in storytelling or production is a plus
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Lily Zhou at team [at] lifestoryclub [dot] org